Monday, January 30, 2017

Into Illustrator! But first lets sketch our plan out.


Before diving into Adobe illustrator we made a sketch of something surrounding shapes. I decided to draw "Rowlet" because of his simple design and he was very easy to draw because of his circular body and circular body features. I have been practicing drawing out side of school and I really feel as if I'm making progress. I really like the style of pencil only on paper but it just feel unnatural on computer. I cannot show this sketch unfortunately since it is web-locked and I can't add it to this blog.
One of the sketches key features is that it focuses on how round and bold some of the borders are to emphasis the shape aspect.

Recreating my sketch in illustrator.

When I recreated my sketch in illustrator I found that color would be more appropriate then just black and white because on the computer I lack the control I have while drawing on paper for he time being. Illustrator also has a few hidden tricks that people such as myself can really use to the fullest. See illustrator is a bit like learning how to play a competitive video game such as "Smash Bros. Melee". On the surface the program might seem simple at first and people will get the hang of the most basic features first like the pencil tool or selector, then people will start to discover some hidden tricks within the program to find a easier or faster way to accomplish the same task but even better. For me this was the shapper tool and the smoothness of the pencil tool. The pencil tool seems like a very simple one on the surface but it can adapt to virtually anything you need to be done. Say you want a smaller print, you can do that, you want your lines smoother, you can do that, you want to have the most precise tracking of where your pen tool goes to really have an exact experience, you can do that. I mainly used this to tackle small features such as his wings or his feet.

The Shaper Tool

One of the main focuses of this project was to become familiar with the shaper tool. The shaper tool is like the pencil and shape tool all in one convenient bundle. Basically the shaper tool is just a variant of the pencil tool that if you draw a circle the drawing will automatically make a circle that symmetrical and everything. The thing that separates this from the shaper tool from the shape tool is that the shaper tool is much more versatile. You can do anything with the shape you just created like make it bigger or smaller, attach another shape to it and connect it with no lines in the middle, or just cut out parts of the circle. Referring back to my competitive gaming example, you might have a very basic grasp of the game (The normal shape tool), but once you do a little bit of research and practice you are able to play the game in a much deeper way (The Shaper tool). 


No comments:

Post a Comment