Thursday, May 24, 2018

Web Design Final Reflection

A Valuable Take Away from Each e-Comm Guarantee:

Technology:

I learned a LOT this year about web code specifically. I had no idea had to use HTML or what it even was when I entered this program but now I am completely fluent in the language. The main way I learned HTML is just by using it. You really only have to hand code and eventually you will learn it. I think coding in general is of high importance especially with our generation being taken over by technology. 

Collaboration:

Collaboration was not improved much during my time in web design if im gonna be honest. Web design is a very independent activity and rarely requires that you talk with other designers. I think in general this class was about developing skills about websites rather then collaborating to create an amazing product. 

Communication:

Communication was not as important this year but if I were to pursue web design next year it would be one of the most important skills. In this class we demonstrated communication but to a very limited degree. However, we did talk about how web designers in the work force need to be able to communicate with employers too be able to create the best possible product for your client. 

Project Management:

This was the second most important skill that we learned this year just under Technology. Web designers need to be able to nail down parts of their project within a certain time frame to ensure that their product is delivered on time. This is obviously very important since people in every field need to be able to asses a situation/project and be able to come up with the best possible solution for that project. 

Leadership:

Again, this class did not have a lot of collaboration that took place. Because of this I was not able to practice my coordination abilities with a team. In my animation blog I talked about how I like to take charge and come up with a plan for a group and then execute it. Unfortunately this skill was not given a lot of room to shine in this environment, but this did allow me to focus on my own skills for once and how I could apply myself without a team.

Strengths 

My strengths mainly come from my imagination and ability to coordinate plans with people. An example being that if im in a bad situation I can come up with a very good plan on how to tackle it. My coordination while in a group can be amazing if I am really comfortable around the people I am leading and know their own strengths and weaknesses. 

Weaknesses 

I am very much NOT a lone wolf. That is something I found very difficult this year with web design. The problems I encountered were that I had a plan BUT execution is another story entirely. I often felt hopeless while working on some assignments because I just cannot nail down the thing I need to do. Another problem I have is being able to concentrate. Like I said earlier, I am not a lone wolf at all. I would frequently talk with others during class to hopefully get their input or I would just talk to talk with them. This lead to me frequently not getting enough work done.


What am I Going to Use my Learning For?

I think most of my time spent in this class was finding out my flaws and trying to correct them. I never really did learn anything that I will use alongside the career I am interested in (Lead Game Animator). I just don't see any clear application of skills we used in the class room. Something I have already been using this for outside of class in gaming organizations. I am a leader in a couple of major gaming groups and they have been needing to fix their websites, so I pitched in. This actually has been pretty useful for things like that. 

Would I Fix Anything Looking Back?

No. Just flat out no. Theirs a reason for that. I gave almost the same answer for animation. I learned this skill through trying to learn how to draw. One of my online friends is an exceptional artist and I asked him how to get better at drawing. He had a very interesting quote that I have been putting into almost all of my work recently.  "If you correct mistakes, you don't learn. If you look back on mistakes, you learn." . I was first shocked by this and thought it was ridiculous, but the more I think about it makes even more sense. I want to be able to look back on my mistakes to 1: see how I have improved and 2:Learn from them. If I rush to fix past projects I would be throwing a valuable lesson away. Every mistake is an opportunity to make yourself better.

Conclusion: 

Its a wrap! Web design is done for me and im happy with the ending I had with it. I learn all of my skills for designing websites and what goes into making theme operate and im able to craft a website based off my favorite medium of art. In general this year has been a blast. Lots of things I could have done better and if im too improve I need to recognize that. This year granted me an opportunity to really find out who I am. The skills I learned here can be applied to different things other then my main career interest, and thats alright. Thanks for a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment